Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Five Questions About Incontinence To Ask Your Doctor

(NAPSI)-As the U.S. baby boomer population ages, many older Americans will find themselves experiencing incontinence as a symptom of another condition-from prostate cancer and diabetes to Alzheimer's and even childbirth. In fact, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, more than 27 million people in North America will suffer from some form of incontinence by 2010.

Unfortunately, half of those will choose not to consult with their doctor out of embarrassment or because they think nothing can be done.

Talking with a doctor is a key step in learning more about the condition and how to maintain a full and active lifestyle. Below are five questions to help get the dialogue started:

Is incontinence a normal part of aging? Incontinence is not a normal part of aging and should be brought to the attention of your doctor. However, there are many kinds of treatments available-everything from special exercises and absorbent products to medications and surgery.

What type of incontinence do I have? Two common types are urge incontinence and stress incontinence. Urge incontinence is also known as an overactive bladder with patients feeling an urge before urine leakage. Stress incontinence is loss of urine caused by an activity such as coughing, laughing or exercise.

How serious is incontinence? Incontinence is not life threatening, but it can cause the disruption of daily activities and complications of other conditions. A physician will be able to determine the cause of incontinence and help you decide what treatment is best suited for you.

What is the most common way to treat incontinence? Many people have found that absorbent products such as Depend Underwear for Men and Depend Underwear for Women work well with their busy lifestyles.

The new gender-specific underwear is designed for superior protection and to fit the unique body shapes of men and women, and looks and fits more like regular underwear-enhancing comfort, discretion and protection.

Where can I go for support about incontinence? You can consult with your doctor or take advantage of many online resources that can answer your questions.

For more information, visit the National Association for Continence (www.nafc.org) or the Depend brand Web site (www.depend.com).

Fayette Front Page
Georgia Front Page